We use cookies to help give you the best experience on our website. If you agree to this, please click “Accept and Close” to close this message and continue to use our website. Please see our cookies policy to find out more.


Stage 2 Explore Further

Lesson 14/21

Coming to Rikkyo: Things to do, things to know

Becoming an international student takes planning, and life in a new environment is a daunting prospect. Here are a few key aspects that you need to do and need to know.

How to Get a Student Visa

To study in Japan, international students are required to hold a valid passport and a Student Visa. To apply for a Student Visa, a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is required. Rikkyo University will apply for a COE for you upon the completion of your enrollment registration.

What is a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

The Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is a document that is issued by the Immigration Services Agency of Japan. It is not always easy for international students to obtain a COE by themselves. Therefore, Rikkyo University will apply for and obtain a COE on your behalf and then send it to you. With a COE, you can easily apply for a Student Visa in your country.

The Student Visa process:

Rikkyo University applies for a COE
Upon your completion of the enrollment process at Rikkyo University, we will apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Immigration Services Agency of Japan on your behalf.
Approval of the COE
Upon approval of the COE, the Immigration Services Agency of Japan sends your COE to Rikkyo.
Rikkyo University Sends the COE to You
Rikkyo sends the COE to you by express mail (EMS).
Steps 1 to 3 take approximately 6 to 8 weeks.
Applying for a Student Visa
Once you receive the COE, schedule an appointment with the Embassy or Consulate-General of Japan nearest you to apply for the Student Visa. Check the website of the Embassy or Consulate-General of Japan near you for all of the required documents you will need to take.
Student Visa Issued
When you go to the Embassy or Consulate-General of Japan, be sure to take all required documents with you. If the Student Visa is approved on the spot, they will keep your passport to issue the Student Visa. It will take approximately one week until the Student Visa along with your passport are ready to be picked up.
Steps 4 to 5 take approximately 2 to 3 weeks.
Immigration Services Upon Arrival in Japan
Tokyo is served by two international airports, Narita International (NRT) and Haneda International (HND). When you go through Immigration, present your passport containing your Student Visa to the officer. The officer will issue you a Residence Card (a Japanese ID card for foreign residents).

Health Insurance

Upon entry into Japan on a Student Visa, you will have to enroll in the National Health Insurance. The National Health Insurance is for international students who stay in Japan for more than 3 months and is required by law (for all residents of Japan). This national health plan covers 70% of medical and dental expenses. You need to enroll in this insurance at the local Ward office after coming to Japan. We will remind you about this upon your arrival. It is essential that you do so as soon as possible.

The Rikkyo University Student Mutual-Aid Health Insurance is required for all the degree-seeking students and is included in your annual academic fees. It allows you to apply for a refund of the remaining 30% of medical fees not covered by the National Health Insurance. Note, however, this depends upon the type of medical treatment you receive and does not cover dental expenses. In sum, you will be covered for most of the medical expenses you may face while in Japan with these two insurances.

These two insurances do not cover you, however, outside of Japan. Thus, for any overseas travel, including when coming to Rikkyo to study, we suggest that you purchase travel insurance.

*For more details regarding insurance arranged by Rikkyo University, please click here.

Arrival in Tokyo

We recommend that you arrive two weeks before the start of orientation, so you have enough time to settle down in your new environment. The closest station to Rikkyo University is Ikebukuro Station (JR Yamanote Line), and it is about a 7-minute walk to the Ikebukuro Campus. Transportation from the Airport to Ikebukuro Station is as follows:

International Student Dormitory

First-year international students who are admitted to the PEACE Program are required to live in a dormitory. This allows for a smooth entry into life in Japan by providing an accommodating and supportive atmosphere. You will be with peers and some English-speaking Japanese student Resident Supporters will live on site.

First-Year Students
It takes just 30 minutes from the dormitory to the Rikkyo Ikebukuro Campus (door-to-door via one train). Individual rooms are furnished, so your life in Japan can begin with just a single suitcase.
Second to Fourth-Year Students
The International Office will help you find and secure housing from your second year at private housing, a share house, or other student-based housing located in the Tokyo area.
Back to Explore Further
Welcome! Take some time to Explore more about our programs, scholarships, and student life to envision your future at Rikkyo!
That was a lot to take in, but we’re sure you learned more about us. Enjoy this video about Ikebukuro. Find out about Applying in Stage 3.